can you still "pioneer" church? I don't think so!

Posted by Teen Bean in , ,

I read a lot of books about how to 'plant', 'build', 'be' or 'pioneer' church. I don't think I like it. I am getting really fed up with people telling me or reading about how to 'pioneer' the church... I think that makes about as much sense as someone buying a horse, wagon and compass and telling me they are going to Pioneer the wild west of America.... I want to look at them with dumb-founded eyes and be like "That was so 300 years ago! You do realize thriving cities and urban spaces now claim what you are imagining as the wild west of America? Hang up your Pioneer reigns ... that profession doesn't exist anymore!"

Stop telling me to pioneer the church on my estate. That doesn't work. Stop telling me to be missional. That doesn't work! Stop telling me to be an organic church. That sooo doesn't work.

I don't know what does, but I'm kinda tired of buying into "movements" to make a difference. I love Jesus. I don't go to church on sunday. I love the bible. I wont tell every person I meet about Jesus. I love praying. I wont scream pray in public. I meet my neighbors because I'm called to show them love. I wont save them. I care deeply about righting the wrongs going on in this world. I can't make people care about a man that lived 2,000+ years ago... He is going to have to do that.

I'm not the first to realize this... I'm not the first to do it in this place... I'm not a pioneer! And I can never be one here on this estate in England. (Anyone than a cowboy can buy a horse and wagon and go pioneer the wild west of America... those days are soooo OVER!)

So from here on out... I'm gunna get on with my every day normal life. I'm not going to over-dramatize it or make it sound cooler than it really is. I'm going to count it all joy... especially those crazy awesome moments when Jesus shows up in the little things and makes me see how real he is and makes a difference in the lives of the people I love.

If church forms because of that... awesome... but I don't think you can be pioneers in the UK ... this land... these people... they have heard about Jesus. People already have come to this land as the first people bringing a new idea or claiming a new area... we can't keep doing it...

I'm like that black ops team... you know on those crazy xbox games that I can't even play... the team that goes in after the city was settled, after the leaders were elected, the streets were settled, the conflict started, the war build up, the hatred reigned, the indifference set in... I am on that team of people that has moved into the neighborhood to see if there is any life left...

To see if we can find Survivors!! ... Rescuers if you will... which means that we play the game by a different set of rules and with a different objectives, but the same end goal.




This entry was posted on Friday, January 18, 2013 at Friday, January 18, 2013 and is filed under , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment