Worshiping With Pink

Posted by Teen Bean in , , , , , ,

Recently Pink (the uber awesome and one of my favorite singers) put out a new track called "Just Give Me a Reason". As crazy as this might sound I find myself singing this song to God and just feeling so close to him when I sing it...

Which at first I found really strange. Isn't this sound about two sexually frustrated people that are actually finding themselves less close and less in love? That point in a relationship where most people think "ahhh eff it, this is turning into more drama and hard work then fun and satisfaction". How could I possibly find this song appealing to sing to God as an act of me letting him know how much I care for him and consider him?

Then the Course hits:

Just give me a reason
Just a little bit's enough
Just a second we're not broken just BENT 
And we can learn to LOVE again

It's in the stars
IT'S BEEN WRITTEN IN THE SCARS ON OUR HEARTS
That we're not broken just bent
And we can learn to love again

Thats when it hit me. I love this song because its real life. Relationships are hard.. and that means hard work, sometimes with amazing pay out and sometimes it just feels hard. I think often the pressure of being a Christians means that I have to be perfect and have my life together. That God and I are just best friends... always. In love... always. But actually its hard work being in a loving relationship with God. I get distract. I feel far from him. I feel broken. I often do the wrong thing at the wrong time.

Being in a relationship with God is similar to being in relationships with other people. If you don't prioritize the relationship it will start to weaken. Just think of the friends you are nearest to... how often do you talk to them, tweet them, fb message, go out for drinks, laugh over music video, share books, give lifts, share dinners, watch movies with, travel with, get gifts more.... in fact the more you do that with someone the more you WANT to do those things with someone.

When other things start to get in the way... we can start to feel like we broke it. And in our culture today when something is broken.. we don't take it to the repair shop- we just chuck it away. Our society as gotten so use to being disposable we even start to treat relationships in that way. Somewhere around 45% of marriages (supposedly one of the deepest relationships two humans can have) end in divorce. If it starts to get hard the message the majority of people buy into is "scrap that broken shit and get a new model".

Again this song really sticks out to me because it pushes for people to stay committed, to realize the importance of sticking it out. That love is worth fighting for. I love that. I love songs that remind me that God is worth loving. That our relationships is worth fighting for. That even though sometimes I feel distant, far way and broken... that, that isn't how God sees it. That he remembers the good times. That he always wants to be in a relationship with me.... even in the hard times.

There is a verse in the bible where God wants all of humanity to know how into his relationship with them he is. So he makes them a promise that goes something like this:

This is the brand-new promise I will make with my children when the time comes. I will put my law within them—write it on their hearts!—and be their God. And they will be my people. They will no longer go around setting up schools to teach each other about God. They’ll know me firsthand, the dull and the bright, the smart and the slow. I’ll wipe the slate clean for each of them. I’ll forget they ever sinned!” God’s Decree.

In the end when I sing this song that Pink so generously belts out ... I remember this promise that God made with us... with me... that he has written on our heart how much he loves us and all he wants is for us as humanity to respond to that beautiful love... it better than any cheesy song or romantic comedy or fairy-tale. It real... its hard.... and its worth it.

God wants us to know that we are not broken in regards to our relationship with him.... just a little bit bent and he is giving us a reason to remember him being that he made us a promise to fight for us ad the relationships that we can have. And let me say the blessing of being in a loving relationship is the best and most amazing relationship I have ever been in. So have a listen if you like and if you feel sing it to the Big Man and remember your and he relationship is "in the stars.... even written in the scars on our heart."


This entry was posted on Wednesday, April 3, 2013 at Wednesday, April 03, 2013 and is filed under , , , , , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment