Spinach Egg Casserole

Posted by Teen Bean in , , , , , , , ,

So I don't know about you but I love Easter! And a big part of Easter is obviously the breakfast. And if you are American you know it ain't a real breakfast unless you make an egg casserole.

This Easter I was so excited to serve up perhaps one of my favourite breakfast dishes but was shocked at how many English people had no idea what I was on about when I said "Egg Casserole". I did look up a recipe but as always I mainly do this just to see what the 'ground rules' are and then I do my own thing. Everyone was really loving this dish, even people that normally won't eat at all at our communal meals were asking for seconds. So I thought I would write down what I did. I know this recipe is out there somewhere, so by no means am I claiming to be the inventor (even though making egg recipe 'inventions' was one if my favourite pass times as a kid).

Irish Popeyes Meats Porky Pig: spinach, sausage, bacon egg casserole.

Ingredients:
3 of those big ass potatoes, commonly known as Jacket potatoes here in England or in America Bake potatoes.
1 medium size red onion
3 cloves of garlic
2 generous handfuls of fresh spinach
A bit of salt and pepper
12 (or so) eggs
2 (ish) tablespoons of butter
1 package of 8 tomato flavoured sausage (sainsbury bowwyaaa)
1 package of per-diced bacon
1/2 package of cheddar cheese

Preheat your oven at about 170 degrees Celsius (or about 330 degrees F).

So here is what you do. Grab those bad boy potatoes and using a grater, shred 'em right into one of those bigger rectangle size pans. Then dice up your onion and garlic and combine them all together in said pan. Then get out a frying pan and melt about two tablespoons of butter into it. Fry up your sausages and bacon together in the same pan. Once the meat is all cooked, dice up your sausage links (again for the English peeps, if you are in America just buy a tube of sausage and get on with the frying). In the mean time, sprinkle a bit of salt and pepper over the potatoes mixture. Then get out a large bowl and crack all your eggs in there and beat them up real goods. Dump you cooked meat + Butter + greasy goodness on the potato mixture and give it a good stir. While your doing that heap in the the generous handfuls of spinach and make sure it get mixed in too. Then make sure the potato/ meat mixture is evenly spread out in the pan. Slowly pour over you egg mixture. The liquid egg level should come just ender the level of the shredded potato. Remember as egg cooks it will grow so you wanna leave some room for that. Shred about a half a block of cheddar (or a bit more if you LOVE cheese like me!) over the top to make sure it is all covered up.

Then wack your pan in the oven for about 45 to 50 min. Keep an eye that the cheese doesn't burn.

Let it stand for about 10 min when you take it out and then enjoy that Irish Popeyes Meats Porky Pig Egg Casserole!

#americanbeautmeetsenglishholiday

*not suitable for vegetarians or vegans!

P.S. next time I will remember to get a picture. But let me know if you try it and what you think!

This entry was posted on Sunday, March 31, 2013 at Sunday, March 31, 2013 and is filed under , , , , , , , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment